The Land Rover cooling system is such an important part of these legendary vehicles.
But all too often we see them in a state of neglect. A poorly maintained cooling system can seriously damage your engine & will let you down, usually at the most inconvenient time………
Here are a few simple things that owners can do to help keep their Land Rover cooling systems in tip top condition.
- Regular level checks. When topping up don’t just use water. Land Rovers like a 50% concentrated coolant to water mix. Coolant in older models should be changed every 5 years or so.
- Check your hoses for leaks, bulges, splits & chaffing. Also give them a gentle squeeze, hoses should feel nice & supple. Crunchy hoses or hoses that have soft points need replacing.
- A lot of the V8 models have the fan attached to the water pump pulley. Give the fan the occasional rock back & forth to spot any excessive movement in the fan coupling or water pump.
- Belts can sometimes be hard to see, but check for cracks where possible.
- If you don’t know your vehicle’s history or have concerns on overheating, it’s a good idea to remove the radiator & have it professionally cleaned, we do this whenever we sell a vehicle. Usually changing all the hoses & always flushing & replenishing the system with fresh coolant at the same time.
At British 4WD Specialists we keep a good selection of quality Land Rover cooling system essentials such as cooling hoses, water pumps, thermostats & radiator caps.
We’re also on hand to carry out all the maintenance & repairs necessary. So if you find yourself loosing coolant contact us to nip it in the bud before disaster strikes!